Pretty Monsters

Kelly Link

Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link (eBook ISBN 9781847678201) book cover

Available as eBook

Borges-meets-Buffy, or Scarlett-Thomas-meets-Coraline … for Halloween

Weird, wicked, spooky and delicious, PRETTY MONSTERS is a book of tall tales to keep you up all night.

Blending fairytale, fantasy, horror, myth and mischief in a delicious cocktail, Kelly Link creates a world like no other, where ghosts of girlfriends past rub up against Scrabble-loving grandmothers with terrifying magic handbags, wizards sit alongside morbid babysitters, and we encounter a people-eating monster who claims to have a sense of humour.

Combining the imaginative brilliance of Borges with the madcap escapades of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and more than a pinch of macabre humour, this is writing to come back from the dead for.


“All of Link’s stories are wonderfully odd and original … Very scary indeed.”
sarah Waters

See more reviews

“Kelly Link is the literary descendant of Jorge Luis Borges and Franz Kafka.”
audrey Niffenegger

“Funny, moving, tender, brave and dangerous. She is unique, and should be declared a national treasure, and possibly surrounded at all times by a cordon of armed marines.”
neil Gaiman

“Link’s stories play in a place few writers go, a netherworld between literature and fantasy, Alice Munro and JK Rowling, and Link find truths there that most authors wouldn’t dare touch.”
time Magazine

“A new short story collection by Kelly Link … and once more, for a little while, the world is worth saving.”
michael Chabon


Kelly Link

Kelly Link lives in Northampton, Massachusetts, where she and her husband, Gavin J. Grant, run Small Beer Press and publish the zine Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet. She once won a free trip around the world by answering the question, ‘Why do you want to go around the world?’ (‘Because you can’t go through it.’)