The Girl Who Married A Lion

Folktales From Africa

Alexander McCall Smith

The Girl Who Married A Lion by Alexander McCall Smith (eBook ISBN 9781847676979) book cover

Available as eBook

How can a girl possibly have married a lion? How can a man have a tree growing out of his head?
And how can a woman have children made of wax?
The stories in this collection make these questions seem simple, everyday ones - then deftly supplies simple, everyday answers.
Surprising and humorous, these beautifully rendered tales demonstrate McCall Smith’s renowned storytelling skills.


“A collection of charm and tenderness”
daily Telegraph

See more reviews

“The most entertaining read of the year”
guardian

“Highly amusing, intelligent, and heart-warming”
scotsman

“Retold in his own deceptively elegant fashion, the simple moral truths of these brilliant stories shine through in a way that is wholesome and highly rewarding.”
herald


Alexander McCall Smith

Alexander McCall Smith is the author of over fifty books, including the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series of novels and several collections of short stories, including The Girl Who Married a Lion and Heavenly Date and Other Flirtations. In 2003 he was the winner of the UK’s principal award for humorous writing, the Saga Award, and in the same year he won the Glenfiddich Award for Writing. Alexander McCall Smith lives in Scotland.